Scraps never bothered me. They sat quietly in a corner, minding their own business. I'd hear other people talk about their scraps, how they're out of control, taking over the studio. Not mine. Mine were very well behaved. Until recently. They seem to be breeding.
I think part of the problem is that I have several "hidey holes" all over the studio, where scraps are stashed.
A few things about my scraps:
*most of them are a good 8-12 years old
*most of them are fabric that I don't really care for anymore (primitive, thimbleberry-ish, etc.)
*most of them are long, narrow strips
*all of them, I'm too cheap to throw out
Friday, I decided to take action. I'm making a string block a day, from March to May. Why May? Because it rhymes, duh! And, if I keep on track, by the end of May, I'll have 90 or so of these little guys, which will sew up into a decent sized quilt.
To make this work, I did a little prep. I'm using this tutorial which is super easy. I decided on a middle strip of the tan/leafy print. I have a ton of that laying around, so it will give the block a bit of uniformity. I cut my center strip to 2" wide, and cut my foundation paper (scrap office paper) to 8.5" square (the largest I could get out of an 8.5 x 11.) So, I prepped about a dozen bases.
The key to this working for me is that it can't take much time. I figure, about 10 minutes tops. Plus, I'm really just grabbing scraps as I go - not much thought, not much trimming. Every so often, I might sew a few blocks together, just so that I won't have the nightmare of 90 blocks at the end of May.
Anyway, here's day 1-4.
Of course, you know how this will end. It will most likely be one of my favorite quilts ever!